Biblical Citizenship Committee
Raising awareness to help Christians influence public policy and culture
Thank you for visiting our Biblical Citizenship Committee (BCC) page. We aim to help our congregation be the salt and light that we are called to be in our community and culture. Read on to learn more.
Our Ministry Purpose
• Raise awareness about public policy and culture through communications and events
• Monitor legislation, judicial rulings and relevant cultural events
• View current events through a biblical lens, particularly with regard to life, family and religious freedom
• Communicate with the EFCC community through publications and forums
• Provide tools to contact elected officials as led, offer election resources and encourage others to participate as biblical citizens.
What Is a Biblical Citizen?
Biblical citizenship is honoring God by living like Jesus as a citizen of heaven in our society, under the authority of human government (Philippians 3:20; 1 Peter 1:13).
Biblical citizenship is based on God’s plan for the relationship between God, government and individuals. The Bible teaches that all governing authority comes from God and that He determines all the times and boundaries for nations.
Therefore, government has the God-given responsibility to promote peace, encourage good and restrain evil (Romans 13:1-4; 1 Peter 2:14), and individuals have the God-given responsibility to honor governing authorities by submitting to them except when their directives are opposed to God’s principles (Romans 13:1, 5-7; 1 Peter 2:13, 15-17; Acts 5:29).
The Emmanuel Faith Community Church pastors and Elder Board has clearly explained the biblical teaching on important moral issues such as gender identity, sexuality, human life, and marriage and the family.
Use the following links to begin your journey as an informed biblical citizen:
• How to Contact Your Elected Officials (PDF)
• Online Resources (PDF – Links to helpful information on current topics)
• EFCC Position Statement on Marriage, Family and Life (PDF)
• What Happens When Christians Vote (PDF)
• LGBTQ+ME Resources (outlines and audio files from spring 2019 series – resources to be added)
Monthly publications to help you stay updated and alert to watch and pray. See links to the most recent issues below. Or receive a copy via email by contacting John Waring.
Periodically, check back on this page for a listing of upcoming events, usually offered around election time, or when there are opportunities to get involved and help make your voice be heard.