SERIES: Distance Learning: Choose to Flourish in Exile
SERMON: The GOAT | Daniel 4:1-37
TEACHER: Ryan Paulson, Lead Pastor
Our new fall series, DISTANCE LEARNING: Choose to Flourish in Exile, is a 12-week journey through the book of Daniel. Daniel is a book about bold faith, relentless worship and prophetic visions. It’s a book about how to follow God through difficult times. It’s a book about something that happened, but it’s a book that, in many ways, diagnoses what’s happening in our day and time. In a profound way, Daniel creates a path forward for us in our current cultural moment. We trust that you will be inspired by Daniel’s faithfulness.
Let’s start by worshiping the Lord together. See the On-Campus lyrics tab below, or CLICK HERE for a printable file (PDF) of the worship lyrics. Or follow along on-screen with us if you’re worshiping with us online. This weekend we will be celebrating communion at our on-campus services and during our online services.
As we conclude our time of worship, consider these questions:
Reflect: Take a moment to think about this — what from the passage and message impacted you most?
Share: What verses or points made an impact on you today and why?
Pray: Have one person pray a blessing over the group.
For families with young children, you can find more Faith Kids resources here: Faith Kids.
Keep Growing …
In light of this weekend’s sermon, following are some ways that we can continue to grow in our relationship with Jesus both personally and in connection with others. (To join or lead a Life Group, or to access leader’s notes, visit here: Life Groups Online.)
Discuss: Life Group Questions
1. What is one thing you did as a child but wouldn’t even dream of doing now?
2. Discuss this quote from Ryan’s notes: “Each one of us will either live with a posture of pride, or a posture of humility…and that posture will position us to either be with God or against God. It positions us to either live in abundance or deficiency. That posture may be the most important thing about us.” (1 Peter 5:5-7; James 4:6-7a, 10; Matthew 23:12; Isaiah 57:15; Luke 1:52)
• Why is pride so tempting? What are some reasons pride is so damaging? In what ways does a posture of pride lead to a life of deficiency? How have you experienced the downfall of pride?
• Why is humility so difficult? What are some reasons humility is so necessary? In what ways does a posture of humility lead to a life of abundance? How have you experienced the uplift of humility?
3. The message contained four things that humility does, or is. What are those four, and which one is more significant than the others for where you are on your spiritual journey right now? Why?
4. What is one way you can practice what was preached?
Using the practice of Lectio Divina, meditate on 1 Peter 5:5-8.
Enjoy this Spotify playlist, specifically designed for our Daniel series, DISTANCE LEARNING: Choose to Flourish in Exile. We trust it will provide encouragement and enhance your worship times.
“Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.” Philippians 2:3-4 (ESV)
“Lord, give me each day the wisdom to see which things are important, and which things are not. Show me how best to use the time and talents you have given me. Help me to use all my opportunities wisely, that I may share, through service to others, the good gifts I have received from you. Amen.” Saint Therese of Liseuix
This is a great opportunity to take your blessings and gifts and use them to bless others in your community! You have been blessed with every spiritual blessing (and maybe other blessings too!). It’s all the Lord’s. Use them to bless others.
Read and study Philippians 2:1-18, or access our daily devotional guide, The Daily Fill.
Check out our recently launched Daily Fill Devotional audio podcast! Each week, the devotional writers are recording an audio/spoken message of their devotional. You can find it on the following platforms:
Find or Subscribe on Apple Music
Follow on Spotify
Follow on Amazon Music Podcasts
More EFCC Ministry Resources
Faith Kids | Junior High | High School | Young Adults
Current Sermon Series | The Daily Fill Devotional | Weekly Church Updates | Family News